When life doesn't give you lemons - some thoughts on pedagogical innovation under constraint
Pedagogical ideas, scholarship and interventions should aim to make a difference to teaching practise and learning outcomes first and foremost. Everything else is box ticking and ego. Very often the most valuable and meaningful innovations or tweaks come from obstacles and frustration with what we face in our daily teaching lives. This blog post was prompted by the below article and is largely a response and reflection on some of the ideas therein.
Thirkell, E. (2026). Frugal pedagogical innovation: reframing creativity in higher education teaching. Teaching in Higher Education, 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/13562517.2026.2630374
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13562517.2026.2630374#d1e717
This paper discusses pertinent issues that I can relate to and offers insights from three types of actors in HE on innovation. It focuses on the quiet, unrecognised innovation that happens in every classroom but remains hidden apart from staff room converstions and sharing of ideas. It also touches upon the daily small innovations we make out of constraint - the latter functioning as a springboard for creativity.
The paper proposes a framework for pedagogical innovation depite obsatcles of various nature. It respresents the interpay between institutonal and education environement on the one hand and and educators' values, motivation, expertise and relatedness to others, on the other. It argues that innovation has traditionally been linked to tech innovation and performance metrics in HE. The proposed framework accounts for pedagogical decisions based on the educator's intrinsic needs as well as collegial sharing of ideas. The latter is emphasised by accounts of academic reposndents as a prerequisite for successful authentic innovation. I would argue that if your innovations and tweaks do make a difference, it is not necessary to look at others or seek support - it is personal and idiosynratic. I have come to this conclusion as a result of workplace isolation and lack of support for my ideas (not necessarily intentional or deliberate). I have now become a self-sufficient innovator in my classroom and I believe every eductor is to an extent. I have my own silo containing my personna, my expertise, my experience, my values, my students and their needs, and the resources at my disposal (curriculum, materials, logistics). I very often find myself not agreeing with the way materials are done or organised so I often tweak and re-order things to better suit my students' needs and ensure successful completion of ILO. The greatest geniuses and innovators were not recognised during their time, but they certainly did not share or seek support from their peers. If you seek support, you admit to being insecure and helpless. If you don't, this points ot arrogance and perhaps ignorance. However, a true innovator is one that does their own research and does not rely on others for support and inspiration. This is a person with a vision. Of course, I can't deny that inspiration can come from others and their ideas/ work as i the case with this blogpost.
Looking at the wider picture of HE competitiveness and strife for recognition, remaining authentic in your practice gives you the freedom to be true to your values, experiment and truly make a difference to the learners in your classroom.
At the end of the day, leaving a trace is what matters in my opinion. Not necessarily putting your signature to it. That's ego and pride. But then that is what academia thrives on...
Comments
Post a Comment